Everyday Cooking

Monday, January 7, 2008

Pan Fried Snapper and Asian Slaw

The Holiday Season has finally sneaked out the back door, leaving lots of fun memories of great company and indulgent eating. Unfortunately, as it does every year, it has managed to leave some memento, most of it evident around my midriff.

New Year's resolutions? I won't even go there but as the new year brought warm days, it's been a lot easier to eat light and fresh.

I love this cabbage salad for the colour and the crispy tang of the dressing.



Pan Fried Snapper and Asian Slaw
serves 2

2x 150g red snapper fillets
1Tbsp plain flour
1/2 Tbsp corn flour
salt and pepper


1 c shredded Wong Bok (Napa cabbage)
1 c shredded red cabbage
1/2 c julienned crunchy vegetables (I used carrots and red beets)
1 Tbsp finely chopped spring onions
handful of fried noodles , or use nuts for crunch instead of the noodles
1 Tsp toasted sesame seeds

salad dressing

1/2 c olive oil
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp fish sauce
juice from 1/2 lime
1 Tbsp sesame oil

Make the salad dressing ahead by combining the olive oil, vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Heat until the sugar is dissolved. Let it cool. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and sesame oil and mix well.

To prepare fish, lightly dredge the fillets with the combined plain flour, corn flour, salt and pepper. Fry in olive oil until cooked through, approx 5 mins on each side.

Toss all the salad vegetables together in a bowl. Add the dressing and mix well. Just before serving, top with the fried noodles and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
Serve with the fish.

7 comments:

Peter M said...

May, the Asian slaw sounds delicious...I'm going to try it as I have all the ingredients.

Manggy said...

Desie, I'm on a diet so I will have to try your style, haha :) I love Dory and Sole myself.

You can try to arrange in on a plate with the slaw cascading over the top of the fish, a la Jamie Oliver, heh heh :)

Anonymous said...

That dressing looks like it would be good on any salad. I always have those ingredients on hand, so I'll have to give it a try soon too.

test it comm said...

A simple, tasty and healthy meal! The salad is nice and colourful and the dressing sounds tasty.

Chibog in Chief said...

i love your asian slaw!! im sure its perfect for all types of barbeque or grilled meat!! yummy....i love the colors too :-)

ps, its the first time i noticed your photo with your kids..you are all cute in the photo :-), maybe i should put my foto too with my daughter just dont know if she will pose for me, hehehe

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love fish and this dish would have been the perfect lunch for me today!

tigerfish said...

That's very healthy.Love your colorful salad!